In this article KFFL breaks down fantasy football busts of the week. Some high-level players will be included, because you need to know when is time to sit a player even though it may not seem appropriate. Primarily, however, we will address the midrange to low-end fantasy options that you rack your brain over each week. Read on to learn which of these players that you wouldn't want in your lineup.
Note: All statistical averages are from Week 3 to Week 6, unless otherwise specified.
Fantasy football busts: Place kickers
Dan Carpenter, Miami Dolphins vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
Fantasy value: Midrange No. 1
- Carpenter is coming off an 11-point week (three field goals, two extra points). Twice in his five games this year, though, he has been held to no field goals. This was a problem last year, too. In over half of his games, he was held to one field goal or fewer.
- The Steelers are giving up just 1.67 field goal attempts per game in the last three weeks (tied for 11th fewest). They're also only giving up 1.33 extra points per game (second fewest).
- Given the Steelers' strong run defense, expect Miami's backs (focal point of their offense) to have a tough time moving the ball. This could result in fewer attempts for the 'Phins kicker.
Matt Bryant, Atlanta Falcons vs. Cincinnati Bengals
Fantasy value: Midrange No. 1
- Bryant is averaging 2.50 field goal attempts per game and has had at least two in every game this year. He's also averaging 2.00 extra point attempts per game.
- Cincy is allowing just 1.33 field goal (tied for third fewest) and 2.00 extra point attempts (tied for 10th) per game. Their 6.0 fantasy kicking points allowed per game is tied for the 10th fewest in the league.
NEW - Josh Scobee, Jacksonville Jaguars at Kansas City Chiefs
Fantasy value: No. 1 or bench
- Scobee hasn't done much outside of his five-field goal fiesta in
Week 5, failing to capitalize on a favorable fantasy matchup against the Tennessee
Titans this past Monday. He has just two games with multiple three-point attempts,
and this Jags offense is inconsistent.
- The Chiefs won't help him break this slide. They've allowed just
1.67 field goal attempts per game along with a mediocre 2.33 extra point tries
- With quarterback David Garrard (concussion) iffy to play in Week
7, we might see Trent Edwards (thumb) or Todd Bouman running the offense.
That isn't a recipe for a kicker's fantasy success. How many chances could
one of those backups produce? Not enough to play Scobee if you have better
About Bryce McRae
Bryce McRae is a Managing Editor with KFFL and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1999. He joined KFFL as a volunteer writer in March 2005 before becoming a Hot off the Wire Analyst in March 2006. He began working in his current capacity in September 2008. His work has appeared on fantasy sports sites such as Yahoo! and CBS Sportsline as well as in print. He graduated from the University of British Columbia in 2008 with a B.A. in History and U.S. Studies.
Don't miss these great reports....