In this article KFFL breaks down the fantasy football sleepers of the week. We will avoid marquee names because players of that caliber are rarely benched, regardless of their matchup. Instead, we will focus on the players that make your fantasy lineup decisions stressful each week. Read on to learn which midrange to low-end players you wouldn't necessarily consider that you need to get into your lineup.
Note: All statistics are from Week 6 to Week 9, unless otherwise stated.
Fantasy football sleepers: Tight ends
Miller time in PIT
Jake Ballard, New York Giants at San Francisco 49ers
Fantasy value: No. 1 or flex
- The Giants' newest weapon has at least five targets, four catches and 55 yards in each of his last three games, plus one touchdown over that time, which he notched this past Sunday. Hakeem Nicks (hamstring) is up in the air for Week 10, and Ballard stepped up in his absence in Week 9.
- San Fran has been stout against the run but have allowed some pushback from opposing passing games; tight ends have averaged 6.33 receptions, 64.7 yards and 0.33 touchdown grabs per game against them.
Heath Miller, Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals
Fantasy value: Flex
- With 15 targets over his last two games, Miller has made more fantasy noise by grabbing 12 passes for 158 yards. Ben Roethlisberger's increasingly quick short-range passing game has helped inflate Miller's involvement. He only has two scores on the year, but has shown a nose for the end zone over his career and has a chance to smell it a bit more with Emmanuel Sanders (knee) likely out for the next few weeks.
- Though one of the league's best defenses in terms of yardage and points against, Cincy hasn't suffocated tight ends. The position is averaging 5.67 catches, 61.3 yards and 0.33 scoring catches per contest against them.
NEW - Visanthe Shiancoe, Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
Fantasy value: Flex or bench
- Before a four-look Week 8, Shiancoe logged between six and eight targets in each of his previous four contests; for what it's worth, he has three catches in four of his last five outings. He has already matched his touchdown total from last season (two) and has a semblance of trust from rookie QB Christian Ponder.
- The Vikes will likely have to air it out often to come back on the undefeated Packers, and that should aid Shiancoe's fantasy worth. Tight ends have averaged 5.67 receptions, 71.7 yards and 0.67 touchdowns per game against Green Bay. Deep diggers shouldn't ignore Shiancoe's 4-45-1 line against the Pack in Week 7.
About Tim Heaney
Tim's work has been featured by USA Today/Sports Weekly, among numerous outlets, and recognized as a finalist in the Fantasy Sports Writers Association awards. The Boston University alum competes in Tout Wars and LABR and has won several industry leagues in both baseball and football.
During baseball and football season, hear him every Wednesday on 1570 AM WNST in Baltimore. On Thursdays, he visits 106.1 FM WMTI in New Orleans and Sirius XM Fantasy Sports Radio, where he often crashes other shows, as well.
Don't miss these great reports....