In this article KFFL breaks down the fantasy football sleepers of the week. We will avoid marquee names because players of that caliber are rarely benched, regardless of their matchup. Instead, we will focus on the players that make your fantasy lineup decisions stressful each week. Read on to learn which midrange to low-end players you wouldn’t necessarily consider that you need to get into your lineup.
Note: All statistics are from Week 12 to Week 15, unless otherwise stated.
Fantasy football sleepers: Defensive teams
Detroit Lions at Miami Dolphins
Give the Bucs a shot
Fantasy value: Low-end No. 1
- Detroit has averaged 3.00 sacks per game. Unfortunately, their interceptions aren't as frequent: just 0.50 per game in that time. The Lions' secondary is a weak spot.
- Fortunately, the Lions can still find ways to earn fantasy points. In his last four starts, QB Chad Henne has thrown five interceptions and been sacks 12 times - at least thrice in three of those four contests. Henne's play has been sloppy, to say the least.
- Even if Detroit has trouble in allowing yardage and points, they should still record other fantasy avenues for points - at this point in the fantasy playoffs, enough for a one-week play.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Seattle Seahawks
Fantasy value: No. 1 or bench
- The Bucs have recorded just 1.50 sacks, 0.75 interceptions and 0.25 fumble recoveries per game - their defense hasn't been the same since cornerback Aqib Talib (hip) went on Injured Reserve.
- Luckily, the Seahawks are sticking with Matt Hasselbeck at QB since they're kinda sorta still in a divisional race. Heck, even if they made the switch to Charlie Whitehurst, they'd still be a good fantasy matchup. They've allowed opposing defenses to record 2.00 sacks, 2.50 interceptions and 0.75 fumble recoveries per game.
About Tim Heaney
Tim's work has been featured by USA Today/Sports Weekly, among numerous outlets, and recognized as a finalist in the Fantasy Sports Writers Association awards. The Boston University alum, who competes in the prestigious LABR and Tout Wars, has won numerous industry leagues in both baseball and football.
He appears frequently, including every Sunday, on Sirius XM Fantasy Sports Radio, as well as every Wednesday on 1570 AM WNST in Baltimore.
Don't miss these great reports....