University of Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno has forgone his final two years of eligibility to enter the 2009 NFL Draft. The former Bulldog ran the ball 498 times, compiling 2,736 yards and 30 touchdowns. Moreno also caught 53 passes in his two seasons, scoring two touchdowns, and accounting for 645 yards.
Moreno's best game last season came in Week 2, against Central Michigan. He rushed for 168 yards and three touchdowns, averaging 9.3 yards a carry. In 2007, he rushed 26 times for 196 yards (7.5 per carry) and three scores versus Troy University.
In '07, Moreno was unanimously selected as the Southeastern Conference's Freshman of the Year and Freshman All-American team. Last year, he was second in the Doak Walker Award (nation's best running back) and was named First-Team All-SEC for the second year in a row.
- Quickness - very agile and elusive
- Displays great balance
- Excellent vision and anticipation for the cutback lane
- Fights for extra yardage; runs hard inside
- Great leader - not vocal, but by example; of high character and personality
- Capable blocker
- Strong stiff arm, a quality spin move and amazing leaping ability
- Natural receiver out of the backfield and can be flexed to the outside
- Added about 10 pounds of muscle to his frame (5-foot-10 1/2, 217 pounds) before the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine and suffered with his 40 time as a result. Lacks elite top-end speed - clocked at 4.63 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine
- Question as to whether he can hold up as a full-time back in the NFL
- Perhaps celebrates too much after a big play
Expected draft placement
Moreno is the top back on the board in our opinion. The Denver Broncos could look to Moreno at No. 12 overall to fix their floundering running game and to provide depth after a year of injuries, but we feel this is unlikely.
The Philadelphia Eagles could select Moreno at No. 21. He should not fall past the Arizona Cardinals at No. 31. Don't count out the New York Jets, either, at No. 17, and Moreno has voiced a strong desire to play there.
About Zach Sanders
Sanders has been a KFFL contributor since 2008.
Don't miss these great reports....