San Diego State sophomore back Ronnie Hillman is coming off a marvelous 2011 season and looks to capitalize on it in the 2012 NFL Draft.
Hillman rushed 311 times for 1,711 yards and 19 touchdowns for the Aztecs. He chipped in 24 receptions for 270 yards and found the end zone once through the air. Hillman's 2010 freshman effort also was remarkable, as he logged 1,532 rushing yards and scored 18 total touchdowns.
SDSU's little big man
- Fantastic open-field skills
- Extremely agile and quick-footed
- Great vision
- Athletic with good speed (4.45 40-yard dash time)
- Strong lower body (37-inch vertical jump)
- Better inside runner than his size suggests - has the patience to wait for a hole and lateral agility to make impressive cutback runs
- Surprisingly strong stiff arm
- Big-play threat every time he touches the ball
- Willing blocker - puts effort forth
- Capable receiver out of the backfield
- Displays general football smarts
- Undersized (5-foot-8 3/8, 200 pounds)
- Ball security issues
- Very poor technique as a blocker (too low and overextends) and lacks anchor ability
- Not a natural receiver despite making strides in 2011 (small hands may play a role)
- When he struggles, he really struggles
Expected draft placement
Hillman received a third-round grade from the advisory committee, and we feel that is a very fair assessment of where he will go in the draft. At only 20 years old, he offers teams wiggle room for grooming purposes.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....