Virginia Tech junior Jayron Hosley battled through a hamstring injury and a concussion in 2011 but opted for the 2012 NFL Draft, likely relying on a strong sophomore campaign to help his draft stock.
Defends like a gnat
- Scrappy and tenacious - plays with swagger
- Great zone defender
- Playmaker and ball hawk (12 interceptions over the past two seasons)
- Quick feet and change-of-direction ability - excellent lateral agility
- Extremely quick closing speed in short area
- Willing tackler
- Special teams return experience
- Low backpedal with fluid hips
- Great leaping ability on tape (did not participate in the vertical jump drill at the Scouting Combine)
- Rarely makes a mental mistake or draws a penalty
- Physical limitations: undersized (5-foot-10, 178 pounds), small hands (8 7/8 inches), short arms (30 7/8 inches) and little upper-body strength (11 reps on bench press)
- Can be too aggressive and bite on play-action passes
- Lacks elite top-end speed (4.47-second 40-yard dash)
- May be limited to the role of a nickel zone defender
- Suspect footwork
- Misses a lot of tackles
- Slight injury concern
Expected draft placement
Hosley has a strong second-round grade but may slide to the late round in what is a respectable cornerback class. The former Hokie could draw notable interest from the New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Tennessee Titans, Detroit Lions, San Diego Chargers and Green Bay Packers.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....