Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones forecasts as a defensive end with the potential to play 3-4 rush linebacker, which gives the senior plenty of landing spots in the 2012 NFL Draft.
Smallish defensive end prospect
- Extremely athletic
- Great size and wingspan (35 1/2 inches)
- Plays with hustle - constant motor
- Good vision
- Bloodlines - brother Arthur Jones plays for the Baltimore Ravens; brother Jon is the UFC light heavyweight champion
- Team leader
- Quick burst off the line - enhanced by a strong understanding of cadence
- Does a good job of locating the ball in traffic
- Upside with the right coaching and scheme
- Effective swim and rip moves
- Thin build for a defensive end (6-foot-5, 266 pounds) - a 'tweener prospect
- Lacks ideal strength
- Takes too many unnecessary steps
- Struggles transitioning from a back step into a forward gear
- Balance can be an issue - plays too upright at times
- Missed five games in 2011 with an unspecified knee injury
Expected draft placement
Jones should be a late first- or high second-round selection in April's draft. He profiles as a left end in a 4-3 Cover 2 base defense. Teams that could be most interested in him include the Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....