Quinton Coples leaves North Carolina after his senior year and enters the 2012 NFL Draft as a highly touted defensive line prospect. He has the ability to play multiple positions and offers a little bit of everything in his game.
Versatile and ready to play
- Imposing size at 6-foot-6, 285 pounds
- Positional versatility - can play 4-3 defensive tackle, 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 defensive end
- Extremely powerful - strong bull rush
- Plays with leverage for his height
- Is a solid tackler - does a great job of latching on and dragging down the ball carrier
- Long arms with strong, club-like hands
- Quick feet, good closing speed
- Sheds blocks effectively - often beats double teams
- Considerable upside
- Good student, smart, well-respected teammate
- Strong rip move and effective swim move
- Limited pass-rushing repertoire
- Was investigated for NCAA violations but was cleared of wrongdoing
- May never develop as a premier pass rusher
- Lacks awareness in terms of disrupting passing lanes
- Inconsistent motor
Expected draft placement
Coples is unlikely to fall out of the top 10 in April's draft, and the most likely landing spot seems to be the Jacksonville Jaguars (No. 7). They have been looking for a force at defensive end for roughly a decade, and Coples could be their man.
Other teams that could show interest in him: Carolina Panthers (No. 8), Buffalo Bills (No. 10), Seattle Seahawks (No. 12), Arizona Cardinals (No. 13) and Dallas Cowboys (No. 14).
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....