Notre Dame senior wide receiver Michael Floyd checks in as generally the No. 2 wideout on most boards as he prepares for the 2012 NFL Draft.
Floyd topped the 1,000-yard mark in 2010 and '11, scoring 21 aerial touchdowns along the way. He caught 179 passes in this time.
High risk, high reward
- Size and strong frame (6-foot-3, 224 pounds)
- Plays faster than he will time
- Productive (100-1,147-9 in 2011)
- Transitioned well between offensive systems in college
- Suited as an NFL possession receiver in a timing-based offense (good fit in a West Coast system)
- Tremendous red zone threat
- Three-year starter
- High-points the ball in his jump
- Body control
- Has lined up at all three receiver spots to take advantage of mismatches
- Willing receiver over the middle
- Tough to jam at the line because of his size
- Ball security concerns
- Off-the-field issues - three alcohol-related offenses in college (two in 14 months)
- Injury history (missed two games in 2008 with a knee injury and most of 2009 with a broken clavicle)
- At best, an average route runner
- Limited route tree
- Physical cornerbacks tend to frustrate him
- Inconsistent run blocker
Expected draft placement
Floyd's placement in the draft really comes down to how much reward teams feel they are getting for the risk in taking him.
He is a mid-to-late first-round draft choice in April's big event. Floyd could go as high as No. 19 to the Chicago Bears. The Tennessee Titans (No. 20), Cincinnati Bengals (No. 21), Cleveland Browns (No. 22), Denver Broncos (No. 25), Houston Texans (No. 26) and San Francisco 49ers (No. 30) appear to be the most likely landing spots for this talented but risky prospect.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....