Division III Mount Union wide receiver Cecil Shorts III is a promising senior prospect in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Shorts destroyed his competition over the last three seasons. For his career, he averaged an impressive 18.2 yards per reception and scored 63 times through the air, highlighted by a 23-touchdown effort in 2008. His most well-rounded season came in 2009, when he posted a 100-1,736-19 line.
- Well-built physique with a strong upper body (21 bench press reps)
- Insanely productive
- Finds soft spots in zone coverage
- Understands the game - formerly a quarterback
- Can play inside or outside
Small school, big production
- Good vertical jump (34 1/2 inches)
- Team leader
- Return specialist
- Elusive in the open field
- Good body control - makes tough catches look easy
- Struggles against press coverage
- Rounds off too many routes
- Inconsistent hands
- Just average speed (official 4.50-second 40-yard dash)
- A work in progress as a blocker
Expected draft placement
Shorts has the skill set that could fetch a third-round placement, but he is probably going to come off the board in the late fourth.
The 5-foot-11 3/4, 205-pounder, according to published reports, has received interest from at least 11 undisclosed teams by way of private workouts and meetings.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....