Louisville senior running back Bilal Powell's impressive 2010 campaign vaulted him into the midround conversation of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Last year, Powell rushed for a school-record 1,405 yards and scored 11 rushing touchdowns. He added 18 catches for 158 yards and three aerial scores. Prior to the '10 season, Powell's season-best performance was 392 rushing yards in 2009.
- Well-proportioned frame at 5-foot-10 1/2, 207 pounds
- Powerful, tough runner - breaks a lot of arm tackles
- Short-area burst and quickness
- Keeps his legs moving after contact
- Impressive balance and body control - has an effective spin move in his arsenal
- Acceptable hands
- Reads his blocks well - ideal style for a zone-blocking scheme
- Average speed (4.51-second 40-yard dash) - struggles to turn the corner
- Leaves the ball exposed too often
- Recovering from a hamstring strain; was bothered by a minor knee injury in 2010
- Lack of experience - one-year wonder?
- Takes a lot of big hits - not elusive enough to evade and runs too upright at times
Expected draft placement
Powell profiles as an average fill-in or change-of-pace back in the NFL. He doesn't stand out in any one area and could struggle to post a healthy yards-per-carry average.
He should come off the board in the fourth or fifth rounds. The Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys have shown interest in him.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....