Texas A&M's Von Miller enters the NFL coming off of two fantastic seasons for the Aggies. He closed out his collegiate career with 11.0 sacks and 68 total stops. In 2009, as a junior, Miller racked up 17.0 quarterback takedowns.
The collegiate defensive end will likely be asked to switch to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense in the NFL.
- Experienced as a 3-4 outside linebacker
- Explosive burst - speed rusher (4.49-second 40-yard dash)
- Instinctive pass rusher
Best edge rusher in the draft
- Athletic enough to drop into coverage
- Penetrates the gap well - gets "skinny" when he needs to
- Solid swim and spin moves - also dips and leans well
- Team leader - high-character player
- Bulk and size against the run (6-foot-3, 237 pounds)
- Doesn't always hustle versus the run
- Doesn't have power moves to combat bigger offensive tackles
- Needs to improve hands in coverage
- Can be overly aggressive chasing the ball carrier
- One-trick pony?
Expected draft placement
Miller brings explosive talent to the table, and any team employing a 3-4 alignment will give him a strong look. Given his skill set and the general need for a pass rusher in the NFL, he should be a high top-10 pick.
Expect the following teams to consider him: Buffalo Bills (No. 3), Arizona Cardinals (No. 5), Cleveland Browns (No. 6), San Francisco 49ers (No. 7), Washington Redskins (No. 10) and Houston Texans (No. 11). The two most likely landing spots are Buffalo and Arizona.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....