Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson is looking to make his mark on the NFL. Figuring to be a first-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the well-rounded corner is hoping his strong draft-season workouts will lock him into the top 32. His NCAA career wrapped up with a strong senior season: 42 total tackles, 1.0 sack and three interceptions, two of which went to the house.
- Instinctual, natural cover corner
- Athletic and versatile: capable return specialist (three career punt return scores)
- Anticipation and breaking skills - tends to bait quarterbacks
- Four years of production
- Competitive and aggressive
- Big enough: 5-foot-10, 194 pounds
- Uses hands well at the line of scrimmage
- Mechanically sound fundamentals
- Doesn't lose speed in his transition; great backpedal
- Capable tackler - looks to get low to take out the legs
- Not very physical against the run
- Gambles a lot in coverage
- Character concerns? He was suspended for three games in 2007 for violating team rules. Since, his coaches say he has become more of a leader, but the suspension is still a red flag.
Sometimes lacks awareness - occasionally struggles to get his head back to look for the ball
Expected draft placement
Wilson is a first-round talent, through and through. He has the size, speed, press coverage skills and mental makeup of a No. 1 cornerback in the NFL. Don't confuse this with being a shutdown corner, but we're open to the idea that he could develop into one some day. He should contribute early on, and Wilson has some remaining upside.
Expect Wilson to go as high as No. 13 to the San Francisco 49ers and as low as No. 31 to the Indianapolis Colts. We think either the Green Bay Packers (No. 23) or Baltimore Ravens (No. 25) could be a very likely landing spot for him.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....