In this article KFFL breaks down fantasy football busts of the week. Some high-level players will be included, because you need to know when is time to sit a player even though it may not seem appropriate. Primarily, however, we will address the midrange to low-end fantasy options that you rack your brain over each week. Read on to learn which of these players that you wouldn't want in your lineup.
Note: All statistics are from Week 4 to Week 7, unless otherwise noted.
Fantasy football busts: Place kickers
Nick Folk, Dallas Cowboys vs. Seattle Seahawks
Fantasy value: Midrange No. 1
- Folk is coming off two straight games with three field goal attempts. Last week he connected on all three of his FGAs and all four of his extra point tries.
- Seattle is surrendering just 1.33 field goal and 2.33 extra point attempts per game over the last month. The 6.3 kicking points allowed per game in that time is right in the middle of the pack.
- Dallas was struggling in the red zone, but it appears they've found their way, in general (hello Miles Austin!); this isn't a great sign for Folk, who could be kicking more extra points than field goals.
Rian Lindell, Buffalo Bills vs. Houston Texans
Fantasy value: Low-end No. 1 or bench
- Lindell has attempted more than two field goals just twice this year - only
once in the last month. Last week's effort saw him connect on four kicks (two
field goals, two extra points).
- You shouldn't miss out on any extra point attempts (2.25 per game since
Week 4) when Lindell faces Houston, but the Texans
are allowing just 0.75 field goal attempts per game over the last month.
- This Buffalo offense likely won't scare any one, especially not the Texans'
improving D. A poor outing from the former, as would be expected, likely means
Lindell won't be called on often.
NEW - Matt Stover, Indianapolis
Colts vs. San Francisco 49ers
Fantasy value: Bench
- In the one game Stover has played for Indy, he connected on all six of
his extra points but didn't attempt a field goal.
- San Fran has surrendered just 1.00 field goal attempt per game since Week
4. They're allowing 3.00 extra points attempts, however. In total, they're
allowing just 5.0 kicking points per game to this position in this game.
- We saw last week how the Colts O has no problems
moving the ball. This didn't necessarily benefit Stover, though. It could
be another week of extra points and few field goal attempts. Adam
Vinatieri (knee) attempted just eight field goals through the first five
weeks before he was injured.
About Bryce McRae
Bryce McRae is a Managing Editor with KFFL and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1999. He joined KFFL as a volunteer writer in March 2005 before becoming a Hot off the Wire Analyst in March 2006. He began working in his current capacity in September 2008. His work has appeared on fantasy sports sites such as Yahoo! and CBS Sportsline as well as in print. He graduated from the University of British Columbia in 2008 with a B.A. in History and U.S. Studies.
Don't miss these great reports....